On this episode, I chat with the folks from Harvest Time Brentwood about the upcoming cherry season. I actually interview three different guests in this episode.
You know you are in for a serious chat as I kick it off with Richard Chavez of Chavez U-Pick Cherries, his daughter Lori, and chat with Jessica Stonebarger where we talk about the direction of harvest time as well as a pumpkin launcher going 10-acres.
U-Pick Season is currently open for strawberries and other berries. Those open farms can be found on Harvest Time Brentwood Website.
- iTunes Direct Link: Click here
- Google Play Direct Link: Click here
- Spotify Direct Link: Click here
- Stitcher Direct Link: Click here
- 00:50 – Richard Chavez shares that this years cherry season is going to be a better than average year. He has 40-acres of cherries (10,000 cherry tees) and 10-acres of apples (5,000 trees). He shares what he loves about farming after getting out of the army. He talks about what has changed in the farming industry over the past 40-years… says labor is more difficult to get these days. We get into how Harvest Time has helped farmers. He also shares the first thing he does each morning is check the gas in his truck so he doesn’t end up out of gas in the middle of the field.
- 12:30 – Lori jumps in sharing she has taken more of a role at the U-Pick farm. She says during the U-Pick season, her work hours are 6:00 am to 8:00 pm and requires lots of planning. She also shares how Harvest Time Brentwood has helped the farm and other farms in the area.
- 19:50 – Jessica Stonebarger jumps in to chat about the partnership with the City of Brentwood and Harvest time to promote local farmers year-round with cherries in the spring and apples/pumpkins in the fall. We talk about keeping students at schools at local farms vs. going to out of area farms. We get into pumpkins and how they created a pumpkin launcher that is too powerful and can travel 10-acres. Cherry season could begin as early May 5, but will be for sure open no later than mothers day weekend.
More information on Harvest Time Brentwood, visit them at: www.harvestforyou.com