On this episode, I chat with Congressman Jerry McNerney on a variety of issues facing the United States, but we kick it off by talking about if Washington DC is really as crazy as the media portrays it. We discuss McNerney’s accomplishments, what he hopes to achieve in the remainder of his term. We talk about the Trump Emergency and the government shutdown. We talk about the Green Deal, the idea of the Electoral College versus Popular vote. We also get into net neutrality, privacy, water, artificial intelligence and many other things.
Do us a favor and subscribe on iTunes & Google Play and never miss an episode. In the meantime, listen to the podcast on iTunes & Google Play.
- 00:49 – Is what is going on in Washington DC as crazy as the media is making it out to be?
- 01:37 – Why is the media not giving Congress credit for the work they are doing?
- 02:38 – What is the best thing Jerry McNerney has seen where people have come together to work across party lines. McNerney talks about one of his greatest accomplishments with veterans and the brain injuries.
- 04:15 – What is the one issue you are the most about from your District? McNerney explains that it is water and public safety—the need to get police staffing levels up.
- 05:55 – What can be done on the federal level to help increase police staffing levels.
- 07:48 – the California Water Fix, Twin Tunnels, and the fight against it. McNerney talks about possible future water bills & storage.
- 12:00 – What does McNerney and other scientists in Congress talk about?
- 12:50 – McNerney talks about energy and what we may be looking at with wind & solar.
- 15:15 – McNerney talks about the Green Deal by Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and where do we go with Green Technology.
- 17:30 – When talking about green technology, look at what has happened with the auto industry and the advancements in just a few years.
- 18:55 – McNerney on trying to make fair districts with legislation to combat partisan gerrymandering districts. On creating more fairness.
- 22:03 –McNerney on advocating for campaign finance reform
- 25:22 – McNerney talks about his fight for Net Neutrality to ensure fairness for all. More than 8,000 people in his district reached out to comment on this topic.
- 29:30 – Electoral College vs. Popular vote, McNerney answers if he thinks a change is possible. McNerney discusses the idea of the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact.
- 32:54 – Discussion on the moving up of the California Primary
- 34:23 – On if McNerney would run for President
- 34:30 – McNerney shares what he would like to accomplish in the remainder of this term. He also talks about Artificial Intelligence.
- 39:19 – McNerney talks about Pie Day and how many numbers he can recite. He then answers what his favorite pie is to eat.
- 40:10 – How does Jerry McNerney unwind from business of Washington DC. Star Wars or Star Trek? He talks about his hat collection.
- 42:52 – McNerney on the Donald Trump Emergency.
- 45:05 – Could another government shutdown occur?
- 46:40 – McNerney wants to work on policy for Facebook, Google and Twitter to address data privacy and data security. McNerney talks about the need for infrastructure. Needs to upgrade our power infrastructure, increase broadband and water infrastructure. He also talks about the need for Cyber Security.
- 50:00 – McNerney says he and Congressman Mark DeSaulnier will announce a date for a townhall in Antioch soon.