On this episode, I chat with San Ramon City Councilwoman Sabina Zafar. She is originally from Pakistan, earned a degree in computer information science and now works for General Electric. She works with bringing women into technology, empowering women, working to bring the community together, discuss importance of inclusion and diversity and lessons on running a campaign.
For downloadable episode & more, visit: www.eastcountytoday.podbean.com
- 00:58 – Moved to the US from Pakistan 23-years ago, went to college in Alabama and studied Computer Science. Later ended up in San Ramon.
- 02:15 – Talks about arranged marriage
- 03:45 – Zafar explains her drive from Arizona to California in resetting her life – empowering herself.
- 05:03 – Zafar explains her love of technology, bringing young women into technology through General Electric (GE). Also highlights what she felt receiving her first pay check after being taken care of her whole life. Helping young girls find a way to empower other women to stand on their own.
- 08:26 – Explains how General Electric (GE) has 20,000 by 2020 and connecting women to technology and importance of reaching out to middle school girls.
- 13:44 – Getting into politics, her father was in politics in Pakistan, what did she learn watching him. While in US, she says Congressman Eric Swalwell reminds her of her dad. Worked on his campaign then realized she was in the middle of it – but it is always about public service.
- 17:16 – What Zafar learned during her first campaign when she lost.
- 18:59 – Election night, she learned she earned a seat on the San Ramon City Council. What was that like?
- 21:02 – in San Ramon, trying to bridge “new” San Ramon and “old” San Ramon in bringing everyone together. Finding a common passion through sports, open space, etc.
- 23:30 – Geography issue in Contra Costa, divides community. Challenge with communities is high immigration of first generation immigrants, bridging the cultural differences.
- 25:33 – Zafar on diversity and trying to include everyone.
- 26:50 – Zafar talks about school safety and school shootings – raise awareness on the issue to promote school safety. Explains how she got involved and need to have a serious conversation.
- 32:03 – Ending on a positive note, San Ramon opened a new City Center
- 33:48 – Closing
For more episodes: www.eastcountytoday.podbean.com